In the summer, the French Alps are an amazing place to be. Apart from the beauty of its landscapes, this area is a giant playground in which you will never get bored. The French Alps expands over a huge area and if you are not familiar with the different places to explore, it might be a bit tedious to organise your visits and choose the places that are really worth seeing or the things really worth doing. That’s where we come in! We have created a selection of some of the best things to do and see in the French Alps during the summer to help you organise your time in this beautiful region and make the very most of it.
Each of the things listed below you will find on our Google Map of the Alps. All of them are numbered and are accompanied with a small description. You will also find on the map the location of the resorts in which we currently have properties for sale. Just click on the points to find out more about each place.
What you will find on the map:
- Some of the best places for sightseeing such as the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix (#21) where you can admire a panoramic view of the Valley and the surrounding summits. From Chamonix, you will also have a stunning view on the Mont-Blanc (#15). Another incredible point is located near Aix-les-Bains, Le Belvedere du Revard offers a beautiful view over the lake (#2).
- The places where you will be able to enjoy the nature and the beauty of the mountains for example The Vanoise National Park (#22) or the Cirque du Fer-à-Cheval (#5). Those places are also great for a walk in the middle of the nature.
- Sites to visit like Annecy (#3, #1 and #11) or the charming village of Yvoire (#23). For a bit of culture and something typical to the region you can head to Chambéry (#4), or visit the Opinel museum in the Maurienne Valley (#17).
- Other activities such as the zip wire in Châtel (#9) or the one in Les Forts de L’Esseillon (#10) and the resorts open for summer skiing (#18 to #20).
Not shown on the map:
The spots related to the different sport activities you can practice in the mountains are not clearly marked on the map. The reason is that there are many different places where you can find those different activities throughout the French Alps. You will however, find them mentioned in the descriptions. Here are our top five sporting activities to do in the mountains:
- Cycling: The mountains are the best playground for cyclists, who can put their limits to the test by climbing up the cols, and following the same routes as the famous Tour de France. For those who like cycling without having the proper skills to climb a mountain can always hire an electrical bike.
- Hiking/walking: There are so many options, whether you are an athlete who likes a bit of challenge or someone who just wants to enjoy a stroll in the middle of the nature you will find something that suits your ability. There are paths and hiking trikes pretty much everywhere, in the resorts or in the National Parks.
- Paragliding: Mountains are beautiful from the ground but wait until you have seen them from up above the clouds! If you are not afraid of heights this definitely something you should try, and there are some great spots to have your first paragliding experience such as Chamonix or near Annecy Lake.
- Climbing: What better place than the mountains to practice your climbing skills?! Whether you are an advanced climber or a beginner you will find some great spots in the Alps. There are also some Via Ferrata and adventure parks accessible to all levels such as the one you can find at The Forts de l’Esseillon.
- White water sports: With the many rivers, waterfalls and other mountain streams, the white-water sports are also part of the activities available in the French Alps. This activity is perfect to cool down in the summer and have a great time with your family and friends
There you have it, some of the best things to do during a summer in the French Alps! The best advice we can give you now is to pack your bags, get a ticket and come enjoy some quality time discovering this wonderful part of France!!
ARTICLES THAT YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING:
- For the summer, choose the French Alps!
- Personality of the month: Peter Lindsay the founder of Méribel
- Invest in an established market...